Devis,

From what I have seen, at present experiences like the effectiveui.com home
page take a bit of ActionScripting in addition to using tags.  Maybe when
Adobe ships Flex 3 (or 4) they will have these type of experiences distilled
down into MXML tags ;-)

fwiw, my guess is that effectiveui.com is done in Flex.  And the point of
their home page is to sell their services to people and companies that want
similar "cinematic" experiences in their applications and websites.  For
now, you should consider UIs like effectiveui.com to be advanced topics for
Flex 2 development.

btw ... for creating "Cinematic Experiences" with Flex your reference to
Ely's "DisplayShelf Component" is a great source.  And Ely did put up a
tutorial on it with full source code downloadable at:
www.quietlyscheming.com/blog/components/tutorial-displayshelf-component/
www.quietlyscheming.com/blog/2006/11/01/using-the-graphics-api-for-richer-flex-the-displayshelf-component-from-my-max-talk/

Another great source regarding creating "Cinematic Experiences with Flex" is
from another Adobe employee Alex Uhlmann.  Alex has put up source code and a
PDF presentation on his work at the following link:
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/auhlmann/archives/2006/11/download_distor.cfm

You can get another perspective on Alex's work here too:
http://www.flashmagazine.com/1340.htm

hth,