> Not sure if this is even possible, but in any case, I can't seem to
> find anything that can listen to a dispatched event from the
editor.
> I've tried listening for the event on the datagrid, the datagrid
> column, and the component containing the datagrid... all giving
> errors.  Is this not possible? Or is there a better way to
approach this?

why don't you create a custom event (with bubbles=true) which your
datagrid listens to and your itemEditor dispatches

in <mx:DataGrid initialize="startUP()">
public function startUP():void
{
  addEventListener("myEvent", myEventHandler);
}
public function myEventHandler(e:myEvent):void
{
  trace("something");
}

in your comboBox itemEditor <mx:ComboBox change="doChange(event)">
public function doChange(event:Event):void
{
 dispatchEvent(new MyEvent());
}

MyEvent.as
package
{
        import flash.events.Event;

        public class MyEvent extends Event
        {

           public function MyEvent()
           {
              super("myEvent", true, true);

see if that works. if it does, i'm sure you'll need to add a few
extra bits to this.