You can't do that.

List controls re-use the item renderers when you scroll, so only the
visible items even exist.

You must work with the dataProvider items themselves.

What are you trying to do?

You can loop over the dataProvider and set the property values that way.

Tracy

________________________________

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of eucliptica
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:52 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Using Automation with Horizontal List

I am using Horizontal list with itemRenderer set to a separate mxml
component that renders data. It has few labels and few other fields.
So when I want to add property automationName I would like it to
follow pattern "someName_001" for the some label in the first list
item rendered by mxml component and so on with name being incremented
by 1.

Ok, so reading through documentation I think this should be handled by
flex since it has support for lists and repeaters but I am not sure
how to implement it. Right now if I set the name in the itemRenderer
they all get same name.

I tried looking at the debugger and did not see any values for
automation that are kind of incremented, so basicaly I am stuck right
now.

Anyone has any examples?