Hi,
Using Autocomplete with external data is easy. All you have to do is
set autocomplete's dataprovider to external data returned in OnResult
event handler.I have tried this with web service and it should work
similar with RemoteObject (java in this case.

In particular example you mentioned, if you want to show lookup
automatically when user types some text, you can use timer event, as
user pauses for this time during typing (say 1/2 sec) you can the
remoteobject/webservice method.

Thanks,
Ajit Gosavi

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "mthielman11" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello everyone.  Has anyone been able to figure out how to use the
autocomplete component
> from adobe as a search box against data in a DB??  We only seem to
be able to use it with
> existing pre defined data sets.
>
> What we would like to do is use it as a real time filtering search
box.  Example.

> USe starts typing in say a last name.  After they type 3-4
characters a lookup event is fired off