Make:
- Proxy.swf that loads the YouTube SWF's and interacts with them in Flash 8
- A class that talks to Proxy.swf via LocalConnection

While you don't have access to SWF's lower than 9, you can make your own SWF that DOES have a LocalConnection to talk to. You then use this SWF as your middle-man to YouTube.swf's.

Just because you don't have access to the knowledge of knowing Japanese doesn't mean you can't use your friend who does know it to hit on the hottie-mo-hottie from Japan at the bar. You dig?