Depends, if you are streaming FLVs using Flash Media Server or Red5, you can
do the seek thingy...It's quite cool... But if it's progressive, it all
depends on how much video is downloaded, how much it is buffered, how big
the video is..

Generally seek algorithms are kindda complex.. Also depends on video
encoding, bitrate etc...

One of my colleagues has been doing some research on different ways to
buffer progressive videos...he has come up some algos, I would see if I can
share that with you, no promises though...

Since you are going do deliver your project on optical-disc, it's not about
downloading from internet.. I am sure you can do much better here... just
keep trying different things (playing with numbers, encoding options etc)...

-abdul

On 1/23/07, Benjamin Schwehn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tom Chiverton wrote:
> On Monday 22 January 2007 17:43, Benjamin Schwehn wrote:
>> The two FLV typically have sizes between 20 and 200MB each. One is
>> encoded with an Flash 7 Codec, the other with the newer Flash 8 On2 VP6
>> Codec. (seeking is slow with both codecs)
>
> Would it be possible to just join the two video files together off line
and
> ship that on the DVD ?

We considered that option, but would like to avoid it because the videos
are not at the same resolution (neither same framerate, but that would
be less of a problem):

Video 1 (typically a lecturer giving a speech) is at 320x240, video 2
(typically PPT Slides, Animations, Films) is at 640x480. Since a joined
video must still be rectangular, it would get quite large, at least
980x480, but in fact even a bit bigger (ca 1040x480, since we would need
some additional space for our layout (the two videos shouldn't be right
next to each other). Those videos would possibly be a bit of a hassle to
generate and handle (and probably quite a bit larger because of the
empty space and because we'd have to use the higher framerate for both
videos). Escpecially as it is a bit of a hassle putting controls on top
of a VideoDisplay, which we would have to do to for design reasons.

I'm a bit surprised really, that Flash can't seek forward just a bit
faster once the FLVs are a bit bigger and better quality than the stuff
on YouTube etc.

Thanks
Ben