If you are using AMF3 (RemoteObject), you can serialize binary data
without any conversion.  If you are trying a standard HTTP post, I would
use a HTTPService with the method= "POST".  Then you have to Base64
encode the binary data and attach it to the parameters of the http
service.  On the server side, you will need to decode the base64 encoded
data back into binary.

Example:

<mx:HTTPService

id="httpService"

       showBusyCursor="true"

       useProxy="false"

       method="POST"

       resultFormat="text"

       url="/BinaryData/cf/HTTPImageSave.cfm"

result="onResult('Data Saved via mx:HTTPService')"

fault="onFault(event)" />

private function base64Encode( data : ByteArray ) : String

{

            var encoder : Base64Encoder = new Base64Encoder();

            encoder.encodeBytes( data );

            return encoder.flush();

}

private function sendData() : void

{

var data : ByteArray = encoder.encode( myPngByteArray );

var params : Object = { data : base64Encode( data ) };

httpService.send( params );

}

In ColdFusion, you can decode the base64 data simply by using the
"toBinary" function.  Other languages have similar functions as well.

Just a FYI... using the JPG instead of PNG requires significantly less
bandwidth & time to post the data to the server.  Base64 encoding the
data also increases the size of the data being transferred "across the
wire".  It is much more efficient to use a remoteObject method with
JPG-compressed data.

-Andy

Andrew Trice

Cynergy Systems, Inc.