I'm psyched about what I am hearing about the next iteration. They have
stated that they aren't going to be making big architectural rewrites now,
but focus on stability and smaller iterative versions which makes sense.
Also, note; they are just begining to talk about it now, they are not
releasing it now.

If they announce it formally in the spring it won't be until fall or winter
at the very least until it's released (if it is small) and next year if it's
big. I doubt if that decision will be made until after they field ideas, but
that's somewhere between a year and a half and two and a half years, which
is a long time. I think that small releases every 6-9 months would also be
great if they could manage that schedule wise.

They did the right thing by spending 6 months fixing bugs and getting it to
work on the mac, now they need to look forward again.There is still a lot of
low hanging fruit that they can add, especially with flex builder, while
having folk fix problems full time. They will still need some new features
to attract folk to it, but if you want folk to work on it full time, there
has to be a point where we give them more money for it and new features are
the most traditional way to take the sting out of that.

The reason I wanted to respond to this thread is that I think this feeling
of it being too soon is born from the fact that they are discussing it so
early and I want to make sure that the discussing it early policy isn't
discouraged by the negative feelings. Why? Because in the past with flash
development if you were developing a component set and about halfway done,
the chances were good that there was already a version from the mothership
about to come out and make the work unnecessary.

You never knew what was being developed, so you never knew what to avoid
doing yourself. The important thing is for us to tell them early what we
would like and for them to let us know as much as possible as early as
possible what they are acting on, so that other developers can know what
Adobe isn't doing so that they know what niches are open for independent
work.

Just my thoughts

-Cort