Ok, so I guess this was fairly easy.

What I ended up doing is catching the ChildExistenceChangeEvent for the
LinkBar and attaching the rollover event to the added linkbutton:

            private function
addClickEvent(event:ChildExistenceChangedEvent):void {
                if(event.type == ChildExistenceChangedEvent.CHILD_ADD &&
event.relatedObject is LinkButton) {
                    var lb:LinkButton = (event.relatedObject as LinkButton);
                    lb.addEventListener(MouseEvent.ROLL_OVER, playClick);

          <mx:LinkBar id="controller" dataProvider="myViewstack"
childAdd="addClickEvent(event)" />