I'm interested what's the best practice for this issue:

I edit a DataGrid items - not in the grid but in the form that pops up
on items double-click.

After the edited item is submitted to the database, I'd like to change
it's on-screen appearance.

If I change its value in a DataProvider - then the whole grid
refreshes. I don't wand that, because I'd like my old item to ramain
selected, only its values have to change.

I've been using the Cairngorm, so I'd like this solution to be
professional as it can be :-)

For now, I hold a reference to my grid in a ModelLocator, so I can
reset the selected grid item with syntax: ModelLocator.getInstance
().myGrid... and set its selected items value. I assume it can go
smarter than that...