Hi Matt,

Something I'd like to see would be a contest like you had when Flex2 first
came out, but with two differences.

1) The focus is on porting open source libraries from other languages to
As3.

2) The prizes aren't tv's, but licences to either Flash Media Server or Flex
Data Sevices. That way if somebody has an idea that they think would be
worth creating if not for the eventual server license costs, there is a real
motivation to implementing it. If they sucede and it wins, maybe they can
make a small business out of it. What programmer wants a tv? Programming is
twice the fun. Put those servers at the disposal of some motivated
individuals rather than just companies with capital funding at no cost to
yourselves but providing ten times the value of a tv to the contestants.

Though I competely agree with Bruce Eckel's article in general, it is also
still true that there are 10 years of libraries available for applets. If
hell were to freeze and sun were to suddenly learn how to make installing
applets easy for the normal computer user,  applets would suddenly be
competitive because of that. For business software I think applets are
competitive in many cases because of existing libraries. With all the speed
of as3, we still don't have a standard 3d library and there are a lot of
graphing tools and abstract libraries that seem like they could be pretty
easily ported over.

Thanks for asking.

-Cort