Thanks, the casting directly to ArrayCollection using as did work.  I
was doing this initially, and then made some other changes to get rid
of another error and forgot to change back.

Andre, this isn't production code and I got it off of Cristophe's
TestDriver server
(http://coenraets.org/blog/2007/01/flex-data-management-services-tutorial/)
but thanks for pointing this out.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "André Rodrigues Pena"