Sorry, I misread your initial post.

The way I handle this is to do the authentication in an initial
authenticated communication with the server. I request a "upload ID"
that is associated with the given user and with whatever unique
identifying information. This uploadID is then sent with the upload in
the form of an upload parameter. The server then knows when the upload
is initiated, what the upload relates to. You should time out your
uploadIDs after a bit of time in case the upload doesnt actually
happen, and make the key big enough to avoid any reasonable
possibility of brute force guessing.

Regards,
Hank

On 2/13/07, Steven Toth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No, read the excerpt from the SDK documentation carefully, esp. the
> last sentence...
>
> "For uploads using the plug-in or ActiveX control, or for uploads and
> downloads using the stand-alone or external player, the file transfer
> fails."
>
> It basically states all uploads will fail (in the browser using the
> plug-in or activeX control, or stand-alone).
>

> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "hank williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure I am clear on your problem. This is only an issue when
> > you are not running in a browser.  The reason for this is that flash
> > relies on the browsers code for doing this. In other words if you
> have
> > created a flash projector this will not work. Is that what you are
> > doing?
> >
> > Hank
> >
> > On 2/11/07, Steven Toth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I'm working on an application that's on a development server that
> is
> > > secured via Basic Auth over HTTPs.  The application has an upload
> > > feature that will not work on the development server because
> Flash/Flex
> > > does not allow authentication for uploads...
> > >
> > > Here's an excerpt from the SDK documentation of the
> > > flash.net.FileReference class (that is being used to upload
> files)...
> > >
> > > Note: If your server requires user authentication, only SWF files
> > > running in a browser — that is, using the browser plug-in or
> ActiveX
> > > control — can provide a dialog box to prompt the user for a
> username
> > > and password for authentication, and only for downloads. For
> uploads
> > > using the plug-in or ActiveX control, or for uploads and downloads
> > > using the stand-alone or external player, the file transfer fails.
> > >
> > > Any input or workarounds would be appreciated.  Thanks.
> > >
> > > -Steven
> > >

> > > --

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional