Or use a resource bundle, same thing... even less to code, but the resource
bundle is included at build time, so you cant switch at run-time.

But with the XML, you can re-load the file anytime you want and pick up the
latest info, if that is important to you. Its not really re-inventing the
wheel, not as I see it.

<myconfig>
    <prop1>value1</prop1>
    <prop2>value2</prop2>
</myconfig>

<mx:HttpService id="hs" source="conf/myconfig.xml"... />

var someProp:String = hs.prop1;

All done!

Dimitrios Gianninas
RIA Developer