You have a few options here. The first is to call flickr directly
through XML-RPC using Flex. You could use plain old E4X for that, or you
could use a wrapper library for it. Try it here:

http://www.hrum.org/people/debedb/pro/blog/2006/12/xmlrpc_in_flex_2actionscript_3_1.html

As Renaun mentioned, you could also use REST services for Flickr, they
work just as well. If I have a choice between REST and RPC, generally
I'll choose RPC, but I don't know how good the library I just linked
actually is.

The third option is to use a "middle man", such as amfphp. In that case
you could use the XML-RPC functions built into PHP, and just have amfphp
resolve them. For example:

<?php
class FlickrService
{
    function doCall($function, $args)
    {
        //For example, $function = "flickr.photos.getRecent"
        $apiKey = "YourAPIKey";
        array_unshift($args, $apiKey);

$request = xmlrpc_encode_request($function, $args);
$context = stream_context_create(array('http' => array(
   'method' => "POST",
   'header' => "Content-Type: text/xml",
   'content' => $request
)));
$file = file_get_contents("|http://api.flickr.com/services/xmlrpc/|",
false, $context);
$response = xmlrpc_decode($file);
      return $response;
|    }
}
?>

Then just use ro.doCall("flickr.photos.getRecent", []);, where ro is
your RemoteObject instance. That might be slower than a direct call but
then again, you don't have to store the API ky on the client (a bad idea).

Patrick