After trying some things on my own, I went to the help docs...
I have the function exactly like it is in the docs and it doesn't
work. I don't know if I'm missing something and I just dont see it..
or if what i have is wrong.. heres what I have...

[Bindable]
public var articleXML:XML;
public var XMLLoader:URLLoader;
public var XMLFile:String = "articles.xml";
public var XMLReq:URLRequest = new URLRequest(XMLFile);

public function loadArticles():void{
XMLLoader.load(XMLReq);
XMLLoader.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, XMLLoaded);
}

public function XMLLoaded(event:Event):void{
xmltest.text = "loaded";
var loader:URLLoader = URLLoader(event.target);
articleXML = new XML(loader.data);
xmltest.text = articleXML.toXMLString();
}

for some reason the debug version of flash doesnt install.. err.. I
install it but nothing changes.. so I can't use trace.

anyone see something wrong here? I think this should work.