I'm web-enabling by using Flex 2 a project that has many fields for
each record in the database.  A typical UI screen has upwards of 35
fields in it.  This application has to be easy to use. e.g. explained
over the telephone to customers who use it.

I was thinking that one way to make editing fields consistent would be
to have the user double click the data field, popping up a window with
the right kind of input to edit the data, whether it is a TextInput,
TextArea, DateField, etc.  Then, if the user presses the submit
button, the data would be saved to the database, but if the user
presses the cancel button, the data would not be saved and they would
return to the large form.

Does anyone have experience in this type of application?  Anyone have
their own opinion on the matter?

Thanks in advance! :)