Wrapping the text in <![CDATA causes the CDATA to
be interpreted literally and rendered along with
the text.

setting the resultFormat to text makes it much
more difficult to handle the text and distribute
it to the appropriate display objects.

Barring any easier solutions at this point it
looks like stripping out the white space with AS
is the only option.