If you are interested we can collaborate on creating this...we are
taking a similar tdd approach to automating flex apps.  We too
explored using the automation package and found some useful
functionality, but we still intend to abstract this to a higher level
api so one can write test scripts using AS3 and never have to deal
with the automation packages.  Currently we are experimenting with
using asunit and flexunit as our test runner...no need to reinvent the
wheel here.  The one thing that they both lack though is a mechanism
to handle async events in the setUp method.

Also since the Flash Player is single threaded, everything is event
based.  Which doesn't work very well with procedural scripts.
Basically you end up have to pass in continuation functions all over
the place which is very messy.  Currently we are working with the
Flash VM team to see if they can provide something that will help us
get around this issue.

Can your school "assignment" only be completed on your own, or can you
collaborate with others in an open source project?  We have already
created a project on sourceforge to house the new framework.  Would
you like to join us in this endeavor?

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "pmotzfeldt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I am a last year student at Norwegian University of Science and
> Technology and in my assignment I will try to make an open source
> framework for functional testing of flex applications.
>
> I have been playing a bit with the automation in Flex and is capable
> to record event, even though I do not need that, because I am going to
> have an Test Driven Development approach for this framework.
>
> But one thing that I have not managed is to programatically drive the
> Flex application. What methods in the automation package do you use, I
> have tried the replay event stuff, but does not get any response?
>
> Do you have any pointers?
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "brian.knorr" <wundahwheel@> wrote:
> >

> > I started playing around with the automation package.  I first had to
> > copy the automation source from the Flex SDK into my project and
> > compile it...for some reason the classes are not accessible starting
> > out.  I see that I can drive the Flex UI through the automation events
> > programmatically...I did a little test and it seems to work so far.  I
> > will continue looking into leveraging the automation classes found in
> > the SDK.  I still plan on creating a scripting layer that abstracts
> > folks from having to do event based logic.  But why do I need FDS?  It
> > seems to work fine so far without it.
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Chotin" <mchotin@> wrote:
> > >
> > > FDS requirement first: it is a licensing requirement; it is not a
> > > technical requirement.  And the license is that you need to pay
> for one
> > > FDS CPU license per tester seat.  That license could be Departmental
> > > (list $6k) or Enterprise.  So if you're looking to create a tool
that
> > > can be used for free by the testers, the automation framework is
> > > probably not for you.  But if you're just looking to avoid using QTP
> > > then this could give you a big head start.
> > >

> > > We are working on documentation for writing an agent.  That has been
> > > slower to come out because it's primarily ISV/partners who are
> > > interested in building agents.  When the docs are ready we'll post
> them.
> > >

> > > I think it is fair to say that playback is essentially what you
> need to
> > > support scripting, even if you don't need recording.  QTP for
example
> > > records actions into scripts, then the tool plays the script back
> and we
> > > turn those into the playback commands.  You can do the same thing.
> > > Either you can write to the automation framework directly with
events,
> > > or you could write some layer that takes your own scripting
calls and
> > > generates the automation events for you.  The automation
framework is
> > > written in AS and exposes classes, methods, and events, so it is
> [...]
MasterCard",LabelOperator(flexOperator.find({id:"myLabel"})).text);

> > > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>

> > > something
> > > company