Impudent1 wrote:

> So am I to take this that Apollo will not let me deal with a remote
> filesystem?
> If I cannot read/write files from a workstation to a server, or deal with a
> remote data connection, Apollo suddenly seems really useless for my app :(

There's no reason that you'd even need Apollo to do that.

Flash Player 9 already has all you need for building libraries to
connect to all sorts of remote filesystems:  sockets, binary and
otherwise.

Sockets are pretty much all you need for implementing whatever remote
filesystem protocol that happens to float your boat, be it WebDAV, FTP,
SCP or more esoteric protocols like SMB and NFS.

 From previous work I've done implementing WebDAV for AJAX applications
over XMLHTTPRequest, I seriously doubt that'd take more than a day or
two of effort.  Some of the other protocols might be trickier though,
especially if you need to re-implement some heavy lifting in the form of
encryption algorithms for authentication or stream protection.

Apollo, however, might make remote access in general easier for all of
us if Adobe got rid of the crossdomain access restrictions for desktop
applications though.

Jim Cheng
effectiveUI

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM