Well, yes and no.  You're right about finding the balance part.  Since
you're in the agile world, it really is dependent on your experience
and whether or not you are a partner in the design, or just the
implementor.

If you find that you don't have time to get things set up beforehand,
you always have the option of fleshing out the UI with the client,
then telling them that you'd have some sample data fleshed out for
them for the next day (or more depending on number of
screens/complexity, etc.)

Architecting an app is IMHO a different paradigm from how it looks and
feels.  If the app is being built to replace an existing application,
there's already a model for how the client is used to interacting with
the system.  If it's a brand new app, the client needs help thinking
about interaction paths, and there's great value in putting in a
little extra thought ahead of time to help you flesh out what might be
possible in the time period given.  (I don't know about you, but my
clients always want the sun, moon, and the stars, and they want it
now- and it becomes my job to tell them how long things will take and
help them make a decision about what they want within the allocated time)

I've always found that when I am looking at a (potential) project, I
already know (or find out very soon) what the overarching business
functions are.  This allows me to build a very simple setup to allow
for this rapid prototyping.  (Remember that Cairngorm is a
micro-architecture, not just a framework).  It really only takes a few
hours to set up simple events and once you have one set up, the others
follow the same, or a very similar pattern.

-Akhil Bhaskar
Amentra, Inc. (www.amentra.com)