I am trying to explore strategic solutions to convert my MySQL
results into VOs for a Cairngorm App. I am using PHP5, MySQL 5 &
AMFPHP 1.9.

My original thought was to:

1) Use arrays to map the MySQL field names to the VO properties and
then call a fetch_array loop to convert the MySQL result to a PHP
VO.  Then, obviously, use $_explicitType to map that VO to the Flex VO.

However, since PHP is not typed, I wonder if there is any benefit to
returning PHP VO's at all. In that case I would choose option B:

2) Return the MySQL result to Flex and then convert the
ArrayCollection in Flex to the proper Flex VO.

I can see advantages & disadvantages to both ways.  It seems like
there is one less 'layer' by sending the ArrayCollection directly to
PHP, however, there also is a benefit to only sending VO's back to
Flex should I ever decide to integrate Java/FDS in the mix.   I could
then replace the PHP backend with Java by just returning Java objects
instead of PHP.

I am also wondering how all this deserialization affects performance
on large datasets.

I would to hear of any solutions/conclusions that others have arrived
at in converting relational data into VO objects.

Thanks, Kevin