Hey Gordon. Thanks for the answer.

I tried your suggestion, but it still won't work.

I show once again what the problem is.
I'm a novice, please keep this in mind ;-)

This one works but it's case-sensitive. (The function liveSearch is
unnecessary in this case. I know.):
public function liveSearch(searchString:String):String
{
    return searchString
}

<mx:TextInput id="searchStringInput"/>
<mx:DataGrid id="dataGrid"
dataProvider="{externalXML.customer.(name1.match(liveSearch(searchStringInput.text)))}"

If I add RegExs the troubles begin. I have a label to show what's
the RegExs output and it's excatly what it should be. If the string is
empty it works just fine. If I start typing it shows nothing.
public function liveSearch(searchString:String):String
{
    if(searchString == '') {
        return ''
    }
    else {
    var regExSearchString:RegExp = new RegExp(searchString, 'i');
    var searchTerm:String = regExSearchString.toString();
    return searchTerm

<mx:TextInput id="searchStringInput"/>
<mx:DataGrid id="dataGrid"
dataProvider="{externalXML.customer.(name1.match(liveSearch(searchStringInput.text)))}"

I also tried a static variable but this one works neither.
So, always when I trie to add RegExs over variables it causes problems.
public var test:RegExp = new RegExp('Stich',i);
public var test1:String = test.toString();

<mx:DataGrid id="dataGrid"
dataProvider="{externalXML.customer.(name1.match(test1))}"

Does anybody know what the problem could be?
Thanks for replies...