From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of ashwinee kumar dash
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 12:32 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Re: DB access in Apollo

Hi,
I am just curious to know if Apollo Alpha 1 installer is available for
download.
If not how how come some developers are calling themselves Apollo
developers.
If it is really available for download ,would i be able to get it?

Thanks
Ashwinee

hank williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Wow Shaun,

        Lots of stuff to vehemently disagree with.

        > Your overstating the importance of a db on the client.

        Well, he may be. But let me just say this. For the last 20
years, most
        desktop apps have use a client side database. Generally in the
MS
        world it used to be a library called Jet that was an embeddable
        version of Access. And almost every pc based app used it. So the
idea
        that Dorkie is saying something out of the mainstream of
thinking as
        it relates to client side development is just wrong.

        > Bringing the desktop and the 'net together is one of
its(Apollo's)
        > strong points. At least thats what it seems like from where
i'm sitting.

        Translation - bringing local file storage to web applications is
        Apollo's strong point. What we are arguing about it *how* best
to do
        the local storage. You make your point as though the database
issue is
        not relevant to "bringing desktop and 'net together". What other
        important issues are there in this regard aside from storage?

        > >> There are already apps in development that would use a
database:

        > >> - Java Docs Generator (in dev) - documents your code,
stores and updates
        > >> java docs in db
        >
        > You wouldnt want to store the documents in a DB, thats just
dumb.
        > Metadata perhaps, but there are other options.

        No, is isn't dumb. It might be the right solution sometimes and
        sometimes not. But its not dumb. Databases provide integrity
which you
        dont get with file system storage. This is a design decision and
trade
        off and it is not a clear cut decision.

        > >> - Project management software (in dev) - keeps track of
tasks, projects

        > This information you would probably not want stored in a
client DB, more
        > likely this would be stored on a DB server and accessed from
the client.
        > Usually more than one person wants to see how a project is
tracking.
        > If you must have it on a client(no server) then, use a xml
document, at
        > least its portable, that way you could send it to another
person so they
        > could see the project details, and you can render it using
XSLT in any
        > format you like.

        The entire point of Apollo is disconnected use with
synchronization.
        You seem to be arguing with your comment that for some apps this
is a
        bad idea. NEWSFLASH: You dont need Apollo if everything is going
to be
        server based.
        To your point about XSLT this is just silly. The model you are
        describing is not an app model its a web page model. Imagine
saying to
        microsoft "hey guys lets just use XSLT to display those PERT or
GANTT
        charts".

        > >> - Photo management software - accesses the filesystem like
Adobe Bridge,
        > >> search and sort
        >
        > Nah not really, simply use the filesystem to store the
assets(images)
        > and store the metadata in a file that points to the
filesystem. Same as
        > iTunes. You sort and search the metadata not the assets.

        I cant say i'm sure about this - but I am *fairly* confident,
that the
        iTunes XML file is an output format and that it also uses a
native
        file format for its actual operation and management. I think it
just
        periodically exports the database in XML format. But whether it
does
        or not, the issue is whether you want a RAM based application,
or a
        disk based application. Plain and Simple. Despite your implied
        contention, it is a well established notion that there is value
in
        storing your data on a hard disk and only changing the bits that
need
        to be changed instead of writing out the whole file after every
        modification. More importantly, deveoping this way is *much*
more work
        for table based applications. You have to create your own
indexes for
        sorting, etc. SQL *does* make life easier, and that is the point
of
        all this isnt it?

        > >> - Music software (already created by an Adobe engineer) -
keep track and
        > >> sort mp3's (itunes, windows media player, winamp, etc use
their own
        > >> built in
        > >> db)
        >
        > iTunes uses an xml file.. Dunno about the others. iTunes
connects to the
        > 'net when it needs access to a DB, that hasnt stopped it being
a huge
        > success as far as I can tell.

        What a silly comment. itunes is successful, therefore there is
no need
        for disk based applications!?

        > So, a client side DB is not as critical to me, as it to you.
Sure it
        > might come in handy, but I can live without it.

        Well, this is the first thing you have said that makes sense to
me. It
        is clear that depending on what you are developing and how you
like to
        develop that your mileage may vary. But I guarantee you this. If
I had
        a database and all you had was the flash api and text file
storage,
        that for any kind of data intensive application I would be able
        write a more robust application - or at least the data handling
piece,
        and I would be able to write it faster than you would with just
file
        storage.

        Regards,
        Hank

Never miss an email again!
Yahoo! Toolbar
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar
/features/mail/>  alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49937/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar
/features/mail/>