Hi Dave,

Not sure if you have decided against using flex and going back to Flash 8 :)
Please go through the following link, I have tried to give a sample solution
to the problem you are facing. It may not be exactly your requirement, but
it more or less solves your chief issues ie, dragging from List to canvas
and dragging a dropped image within the canvas and positioning them. Please
do go through it and please dont hesitate to email me if you need any help

http://flexgeek.wordpress.com/2007/03/15/drag-drop-example/

Thanks
Harish
Flex QE, Adobe India.