Setting the accessible compiler setting to true makes your swf visible
to screen readers such as JAWS and Window-Eyes. I would chance a guess
that one of the reasons why it is set to false is that it bumps up the
size of the compiled swf.

Does it cover the legal requirements for accessibility? In the same
way that HTML does...you have to code it so it will.

Some good reading...
http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?href=00001024.html