I've also been having serious problems with tree nodes: auto-expanding
child nodes and setting (highlighting) a selected node.
MyTree.validateNow() was the answer to getting all of this working.

What I did to get it working was:
1) Search my dataProvider for a particular item (returning an XMLList)
Eg: var selectedNode:XMLList =
MyTree.dataProvider.descendants().(attribute("title") == [EMAIL PROTECTED])
2) MyTree.selectedItem = selectedNode
3) MyTree.validateNow()
4) MyTree.expandItem( MyTree.selectedItem, true )

Cheers
Tracy

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "codemonkey666" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>