Ok... makes sense.  I will have to read your AS code closer to
understand what it is doing.  I am very new to AS so i am slowly
learning.

The code is working, but not returning a value to the textarea.

I am watching the traffic with a program called serviceCapture and i
can see the data going back and forth, but for some reason the
text="{resultString}" in the textarea is not working.

Thanks again!

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Clint Tredway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Thats not how remoting works. By sending an object to the server,
the
> gateway translates it into a or many structures that is in the
argument
> scope of CF.
>
> to pass a string to a CFC do this:
>
> public function sendToCFC():void{
>      var cfObj:Object = {input:source.text};
>      myFlashRemote.echoString(cfObj);
> }
>
> Now what this does is send an AS object through the gateway that
will inturn
> translate this into a structure with input as an argument with the
value of
> the send textfield's text.
>
> Now, when you return something from the CFC, its best to bind that
to a
> Bindable variable.
> In this case I would create a bindable var called
returnString:String and in
> my result function do this.
>
> public function setReturnString(event:ResultEvent):void{
>     returnString = event.result as String;
> }
>
> To get to the result of your CFC call, a result function needs to be
> specified or else the app will not know what to do with the result.
>
> Here is your code changed to show how it all works.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <mx:ApolloApplication xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
> layout="absolute" pageTitle="Flex Remoting Example">
>     <mx:Script>
>         <![CDATA[
>             import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;
>
>             [Bindable]
>             public var resultString:String;
>
>             public function sendToCFC():void{
>                  var cfObj:Object = {input:send.text};
>                  myFlashRemote.echoString(cfObj);
>             }
>
>             public function setReturnString(event:ResultEvent):void{
>                 returnString = event.result as String;
>             }
>         ]]>
>     </mx:Script>
>     <mx:RemoteObject id="myFlashRemote" destination="ColdFusion"
> source="test" endpoint="http://demo.dev/flex2gateway/";>
>         <mx:method name="echoString" result="setReturnString
(event)"/>
>     </mx:RemoteObject>
>
>     <mx:Button x="141" y="280" label="Button" click="sendToCFC()" />
>
>     <mx:TextArea id="source" width="356" height="201"
text="{resultString}"