Anatole,

I just ordered my copy yesterday and downloaded the PDF version but I
haven't had time to do much reading yet.  I'll be sure to pay close
attention to that part of the book.  I'm always looking for ways to
improve my class libraries and coding techniques.  It's refreshing to
see someone else has at least considered this approach.

Thanks,
Maury

 --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "anatolet"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maury,
>    Please take a look @ the subchapter on resources (somewhere close
> to the end of chapter 8 - did not get my copy of the book with real
> page numbers yet). Basically it talks about moving destination part
> along with key columns and some other properties into separate
class -
> there you can provide caching and notifications a la runtime
styles -
> only on the properties/model level.
>
> Regards,
> Anatole Tartakovsky
>

> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "maury.sword" <maury.sword@>
wrote:

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "lostinrecursion" <k.silans@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Evening folks,
> > >
> > > I finished reading a chapter in the new book, RIAs with Flex
and
> > Java.
> > > Specifically, I was reading Chapter 11: Advanced Datagrid which
> > > introduces the concept of a destination aware component which
> > contains
> > > calls to a remote object embedded in the extended component's
MXML
> > code.
> > >
> > > Although the destination and method are passed to the component
in
> > > compile time attributes, this smells of not only tight coupling
of
> > > components - but totally ignoring good OOP practice and mixing
the
> > > business and presentation tiers. Add to that the fact that now
the
> > > dataProvider can only have the one view, the actual grid to
which it
> > > is set.
> > >
> > > Can someone point out what I am missing here or make any points
why
> > my
> > > thoughts are incorrect?
> > >
> > > So far, it's a great book but that chapter really threw me off.
> > >
> > > -Kenny/LIR
> > >

> > I'm not sure that's that's ignoring good OOP practice but it
> > certainly does mix the business and presentation tiers.
> >
> > I have been doing this since Flex 1.5 for the ComboBox, List,
> > DataGrid and Tree components.  I first extended each these to
create
> > generic components that implement Flash Remoting, some standard
> > contextmenus, drag and drop, security/privilege checking and
dispatch
> > events when remoting calls return.  Then I extend these and point
the
> > RemoteObject source to the specific CFC that retrieves the data
from
> > the database.
> >
> > For instance I have a RemotingComboBase class that extends the
> > ComboBox class and I have an EmployeeComboBox class that extends
the
> > RemotingComboBase.  I have several applications that need to use
an
> > EmployeeComboBox, so when I need one I just have to drag it onto
the
> > form and go on to the next component.  I also have an
EmployeeList
> > class when I want to display a list of employees.  Both of these
> > components have their RemoteObject source pointed at the same
CFC.
> > Obviously if I'm using both of these components on the same form
I am