Make sure you set the bubbles=true when you construct the Event object.
The parent should be able to listen to itself and still see it.

parent.as
class ParentComponent
{
    public function ParentComponent()
    {
        addEventListener("bubbler", bubblerEventHandler);

child3.as

class Child3
{

    private function doSomething():void
    {
        var event:Event = new Event("bubbler", true);
        dispatchEvent(event);