It's because the .default node is not bindable (it's an anonymous element of
an xml object). Doesn't the warning mention something about not implementing
the IEventDispatchable (or other!) interface?

What is the best practice for this?

I know you could point a bindable property to that node itself, but may not
be what you're looking for, such as:

[Bindable] var default: ObjectProxy;

//this should get picked up by bindings
default = DALocationsXML.default;