I did this as a somewhat hardcoded solution, I only have a few
sections in the app so if this helps anyone or if anyone knows a more
efficent way:

var arrayToMatch:Array = new Array
("id", "disabled",  "date", "title", "content");
//
var tmpArray:Array = new Array();
//
datagridColumns = datagrid.columns;
//
for(var i:Number=0; i<arrayToMatch.length; i++)
{
   for(var j:Number=0; j<datagridColumns.length; j++)
   {
    if(arrayToMatch[i]==datagridColumns[j].headerText)
   {
   trace(arrayToMatch[i], "MATCHES", datagridColumns[j].headerText);
   tmpArray.push(datagridColumns[j]);
datagrid.columns = tmpArray;

Thanks for the heads up on the DataGridColumns, this is my first data
driven Flex app and anything helps...