I did something similar.  Before the upload I get a token, I pass that
token on the querystring of the upload.  Once complete I use that token
to get info about the upload.  I also use this token for authentication
purposes.  We have had a lot of trouble with file uploads not sharing
sessions with all of the other requests in the app.  Another advantage
to the token is we have a queue of files that the user is uploading from
in the app.  With the token we don't have to retrieve the response data
right away, or it can be ignored altogether.  We also expire the tokens
after a certain period of time because we do use them for auth as well.
Anyway, it's probably overkill for your project, but I thought I'd share.

Paul