There has been a lot of confusion among Flash developer/designers. Some of
them even said, during early days of Flex, that Flex is flash killer. Which
was totally misconception.

I posted something around Macromedia MAX 2005,

http://www.abdulqabiz.com/blog/archives/macromedia_flex/macromedia_flex_and_flash.php

It's old post, should answer some of the questions.

-abdul