Ah, sorry, I missed the fact that it was for a single cell instead of
the entire row.

So do you already have a cell renderer based on something like HBox,
and if so have you tried setting the backgroundColor property?  What
happened?  I would think that should work.  I'll see if I can put
together a working example.