Does anyone have a good practice for holding version numbers in a flex
swf file for display to the user and magically incrementing them as
part of the build process?

What I am looking for is suggestions about automatic incrementing of a
piece of a version number, say major.minor.build, where the build
number gets incremented when I compile (or perform some custom
"increment build number" step) and then the version is visible
somewhere in the UI so I can check what version people are running
when they report issues.  I can show a string in the UI, it's the
automatic update I'm looking for suggestions on.

Anyone done this and have a good mechanism?

While I'm on the topic, does anyone have an example of an ANT script
to do a similar thing to an XML file in a Java project?

Cheers
SP