Shawn, I don't think starting over is necessarily the best approach.
All apps are layers and pieces, and you can really only work on one
thing at a time.

So take your pick, and start with the UI first and work back towards the
data, or start at the data and work up to the UI.

I personally like to build a start-to-finish prototype to establish all
of the technologies and protocols I will be using, and then go back and
flesh-out the layers.  If I was where you are, with a starting point UI,
I would build the db, establish some image sources, create the middle
tier, and get the data into flex.

I don't think you will get much response starting out with "how do I
build my app" level questions.  We do not know your requirements(and
don't really want to learn them) well enough to design an app, let alone
code it.

You have a start, build on that.  Keep questions specific.

Tracy