I think the problem is that the + should not be encoded. You must
encode it before adding it to the URI.  It is a reserved character and
it has special meaning in certain places in the URI.  It should not be
encoded in those places.  As a result I am speculating that an encode
function will not encode it.  An example of a special meaning is that
it can be used in place of spaces in a URL, it is just as common to
use %20 for a space, but a + is more readable.

Paul