Thanks Jeff, you actually know what I'm talking about...
If I'm sending the guestlist-id as a parameter, doesn't that defeat
the purpose of guestlist? If all a "hacker" has to do is change the
guestlist-id (a UUID, so it would be difficult), he could use another
user's guestlist?

Putting the guestlist in session ensures the rules about what data
goes on the guestlist cannot be tampered with.

Another strategy is that when I'm checking the guestlist, and it
fails, I re-fill my guestlist. and check again, but I'd rather not do
this.

thanks,
JB