"you cannot extend Application" , no, you can defintely do this.  The
limitation is that the subclass can only appear at the root of an mxml
file.

I don't see what is wrong in the posted code.  This is an example tht is
very similar and is working for me:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mipc:MIPApplication
    xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
    xmlns:mipc="MIPContainers.*"
    app="{this}" >
<mx:Style source="mip.css" />
</mipc:MIPApplication>

And MIPApplication.as starts off like this:
package MIPContainers
{
  import mx.core.Application;
public class MIPApplication extends le_MIP
{
"le_MIP" is an mxml application.  Hmm, I am always extending an mxml
application, not the "Application" class, I wonder if that is the
difference?
Tracy