I assume you're cancelling the default sort, which is why the column's
sortDescending is never updated.

You'll have to get the actual sort order from the collection itself.

  var descending:Boolean = false;
  var s:Sort = collection.sort;
  var fields:Array = s.fields;
  for (var i = 0; i < fields.length; i++)