I have a Panel that I have sized to be constrained at 10 pixels top,
bottom, left and right so that it is flexible and based on the size of
the browser.

Inside this I have a VBox that I want to be 100% the width of the Panel.

Inside this I have Labels that I want to be 20% of the width of the
VBox, so that they are 5 of them evenly spaced across.

The text of this label maybe longer then can be displayed within the
above constraints, that is fine and I want it to be truncated if it can
not fit into the width equal to ~20% of the browser.

The trouble is that if I code all the above elements with percentages
the labels will expand and push the parent VBox beyond the width of the
Panel and I do not want this.

How can I constrain the widths of the Labels (or other
containers|controls I may want to put at this level) so that it will not
expand, without losing the flexibility of the overall design?