Thanks for chipping in Matt, I appreciate your input, and I hope I
have not offended Adobe PM by suggesting that they have been quiet.

However, "talk to the sales rep" is a step that I don't believe many
people will get to, especially the smaller dev shops.  John and I seem
to be in similar positions as technology evangelists strongly selling
the merits of RIA and especially Flex but having to tack onto the end
of our pitch "oh by the way it costs 750/developer for the IDE and
10k/CPU when we put it into production, so someone had better call
Adobe...".  It's hard to get the conversation past that.

And I'm not suggesting you are trying to rip anyone off.  I also
appreciate that Adobe is not a charity and has to make money like the
rest of us, I just think as it stands you have a prohibitively
expensive pricing policy based on a model which has been shown to be
unfavourable both for my customer and me as a vendor (Adobe are not
the first people to have a CPU based pricing policy for server
components).  It would be naive to believe that it is not excluding a
portion of the software development community and a big ask that
everyone who does evaulation contacts a sales rep.

Like you I think you have a useful and compelling offering otherwise I
wouldn't be placing a large bet on it.  The reality though is that I
am going to have to switch away from FDS/LCDS precisely because of the
effect on my bottom line.  Adobe can choose to ignore that, but I
doubt I am alone.

Simon

PS Anecdotally, my attempts at negotiating with the Adobe reps has not
been an accommodating experience where they are interested in the
merits of my solution, but rather one about the Adobe pricing policy
(and their sales targets).  And that is exactly what I would expect of
a software salesperson, so I am not criticising that, just stating the
practical reality.  I have no negotiating position.