Thanks for the response.  You got me around that roadblock.  Here's how I've
implemented it in my Cairngorm-based app in case someone else is looking for a
similar
solution:

In the mxml component containing the viewstack with effects on the children, I
added an
observe function:

        <util:Observe
                source="{ model.thisView }"
                handler="{ viewStateChange }" />

This will watch for changes in the modelLocator indicating if this component is
in view or
not.

On a change, the handler just sets and clears the effect as Manish suggested.

                private function viewStateChange():void
                {
                        if (model.thisView == ModelLocator.THISVIEW_VIEW1)
                        {
                                panel1.setStyle("hideEffect", rotateDown);
                                panel2.setStyle("hideEffect", rotateUp);
                        }
                        else
                        {
                                panel1.clearStyle("hideEffect");
                                panel2.clearStyle("hideEffect");

Works great.

Thanks again Manish.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Manish Jethani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 5/1/07, Tom Sobut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have hideEffects defined for the child views of a nested viewStack.
> >
> > At some point in my workflow, that viewStack gets hidden.  Before I bring
> > it back into
view,