The String class does that though, doesn't it?  For example,

var sid1 :String = new String("ID_101-102-103");
var sid2 :String = "ID_101-102-103";
var sid3 :String = new String(sid1);

are all legal.  Maybe there is a reason why String can't be extended
(I haven't tried it), but it might be worth looking into.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schmalle"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > var sid2 :StringId = "ID_101-102-103";
>
> There is no way you can do that. AS3 uses typing and that is all
you are
> doing.
>
> The "" is the string constructor and there is no way to change that.
>
> If I understand what you are asking there is something you can use
so you
> don't have to use toString().
>

> public function StringId(stringId :Object)
> {
>    if (stringid is StringId)
>       this.guid = stringId.toString();
>    else if(stringid is String)
>       this.guid = stringid;
>    else
>       throw new Error("Incorrect argument type. Must be of type
String or