Sorry Nate,

You can't run an AS3/VM2 (Flash 9) .swf under the AS2/VM1 player (Flash 8).
Same as you can't run a flash 7 movie in the flash 6 player.

RE:

 I can't use getURL on myspace due to the new FP9 security features.

Flash 9 uses URLLoader, and not getURL().

I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you, because I use the auto-updater
supplied with SWFObject, but that requires javascript...

Anyone know if you can run a flash 9 movie in the flash 8 player with
limited functionality?

Thanks,

-Scott