You can also use the HTTPService and integrate with JAAS pretty easily.
We do this in the Meldware Flex based email client.  Here are a few code
snippets:

>From Services.mxml:

<mx:HTTPService id="loginService"
    url="j_security_check"
    showBusyCursor="true"
    useProxy="false"/>

>From LoginDelegate.as:

public function login(user:UserVO):void
    {
      var params:Object = new Object();
      params.j_username = user.username;
      params.j_password = user.password;
      var call:AsyncToken = service.send(params);
      call.addResponder(responder);
    }

Hope that helps.

-James