this issue has been successfully resolved offlist and input from the
flexcomponents list. and just in the nick of time too.

followup info can be read on the support forums for this component:
http://drumbeatinsight.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=15

I now have no hesitation recommending this component to easily display
external HTML content in a iframe-type MXML control.

http://www.drumbeatinsight.com/

(and I'm actively trying to get my scrooge of a project manager to
part with a meager $99 for the source code as both an "insurance
policy" and to "do the right thing" for the developer who made it so I
don't have to)

cheers