How about ( and this maybe a complete noobish way :) )  using the
visible attribute .. You then also have to take into account 'layout'
probably ..
-- from LiveDocs ---
Preventing layout of hidden controls

By default, Flex lays out and reserves space for all components,
including hidden components, but it does not display the hidden
controls. You see blank spots where the hidden controls will appear
when you make them visible. In place of the hidden controls, you see
their container's background. However if the container is any of the
following components, you can prevent Flex from considering the child
component when it lays out the container's other children by setting
the child component's includeInLayout property of the component to false:

    * Box, or any of its subclasses: HBox, VBox, DividedBox,
HDividedBox, VdividedBox, Grid, GridItem, GridRow, ControlBar, and
ApplicationControlBar,
    * Form
    * Tile and its subclass, Legend
    * ToolBar

When a component's includeInLayout property is false, Flex does not
include it in the layout calculations for other components, but still
lays it out. In other words, Flex does not reserve space for the
component, but still draws it. As a result, the component can appear
underneath the components that follow it in the layout order. To
prevent Flex from drawing the component, you must also set its visible
property to false.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Labriola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>