I tried to create a sample app which showed the problem but it worked
flawlessly :)

I think it must be the way I am instantiating/setting the properties
& styles of the TabNavigator and its content in my main app.  The
entire UI is built at runtime by parsing an external XML file so
perhaps I am adding content to the TabNavigator before it is ready or
the paddingTop style has been applied.  I'll have to do some more
digging to find out what is wrong.

Nick.